Alright y’all…I’m officially 30 years old! I’m honestly kinda excited about being 30! Everyone keeps telling me 30 is amazing, and it’s their favorite year. Let’s hope they are right! There are so many things about my 20s that were incredible, and I learned so so so much. That’s why I want to share the 30 best things I’ve learned before turning 30 today on One Small Blonde!
- Your walk with Christ is the most important relationship in your life. God is the one person who will always be there to listen and guide you through anything. Be thankful for ALL the good things and bad he puts in your life.
- Family is the second most important relationship to God. In the last couple of years, I’ve become much closer with my family because of a huge family tragedy. Unfortunately, I hate that it took something terrible to bring me closer to them, but there were so many positives that came from the situation.
- Make the effort to keep in touch with your best friends. It’s not hard to pick up the phone for 5 minutes and see how they are doing. Don’t expect them to reach out. YOU DO IT.
- Get a dog! First off, he’s the best friend I have and if I’m upset his face makes me happy again. Second, he taught me how to be responsible for someone else. He turns 10 in a few weeks and I’m freaking out!
- Take care of yourself. If you don’t take care of yourself first, then you can’t take care of someone else. I’m talking about anything here…physically or emotionally.
SHOP MY OUTFIT
- Find the positive in every situation. I’ve been through plenty of ups and downs in the last 20 years, but whatever the situation looking back I’ve found the lesson from God.
- Laugh at yourself. Hello…I’m a blonde and I’ve done plenty of stupid things, but I’m human as are you so don’t beat yourself up. Some of my most embarrassing moments are great stories now.
- Learn to love you. I was in a relationship for 4 years, and I didn’t realize how much I had lost myself until after we broke up. That’s actually when I started putting effort into my blog, and look where I am now! I love it, and people like me too!
- Don’t put expectations on people. When you communicate instead of expect things usually turn out better.
- Do what you love. You’re the only person who can make a change in your life so put your big girl pants on and get it done.
- Budget. Ughhhh this is one of those things they need to teach in college. My tip…download a budgeting app on your phone or use the envelope system. Also, it’s okay to have a credit card. You may just have to learn the hard way like I did that it’s not free money to go shopping all the time :/
- Do things out of your comfort zone. After I graduated, all of my friends moved away so I had to make a new friend group. It sucked having to go to events by myself, but it was the best thing I did to build my confidence.
- Indulge when you want! Yes, I just talked about budget but if you accomplished something big in your life or just need a little something that will make you happy it’s totally okay. My biggest indulgences: food and purses!
- Travel. We may not all have the budget to go on extravagant vacations, but you can probably go somewhere. Just get out of your bubble. I’ve met some incredible people on my travels, and it’s opened my eyes to so much.
- Invest. I’m not talking about finance here. Invest in something that will make you happy.
- A glass of red wine cures all. Just kidding, but it does help a LOT.
- Be a good listener. Do whatever you can to put your own issues/thoughts out of your head and listen to what people say. I’m still working on this myself!
- Be vulnerable. I’m the worst at keeping my emotions and guard up. However, if you don’t put yourself in a vulnerable position how will you ever know if something good could happen?
- Relax. You’re looking at someone who stresses themselves out wayyyy too much. But, guess what? Whatever I’m stressing about always works out.
- Make the most of your friendships. I’ve learned that sometimes there are people who come into your life for a certain situation, and that’s okay. Those lifelong friends will always be around.
- Dating. I’m not a huge fan of dating, but the best advice I got about dating was just say YES.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You can’t do it all by yourself. Believe me I’ve tried…
- Give more compliments than you receive. Getting a compliment makes you feel great, but seeing someone else happy feels even better. I love seeing my clients light up after they’ve taken the Blogger Workshop because I love encouraging and teaching them.
- Routines are good. I’m an entrepreneur so I need a routine to keep me accountable. It will make your goals more attainable!
- Call your grandparents as often as you can… I recently lost my grandpa, and I hate that I didn’t get more time with him.
- Say I love you. Like I mentioned earlier, we had a family tragedy a few years ago. It made me realize more than ever how easily someone can be taken from you.
- Dream BIG. All of your dreams may not come true, but when you dream bit it makes life a lot more fun!
- Put the phone down. I’m attached to my phone like no other, but who knows what you are missing out on when you’re constantly looking at a tiny screen.
- Get up. Get dressed. Kick butt like it’s the last day of your life.
- Enjoy the moment. Life is short.
Free People Beaded Blouse // Frame Black Jeans (favorite!) // Gray Suede Over-the-Knee Boots // YSL Purse (less expensive here) // Kendra Scott Ring
photos: Beckley & Co.
Happy birthday, Brooke! What a fun post- I always love reading these kind of posts because it shows who you are more than an outfit! So many good reminders! Here’s to hoping 30 is the best year yet. XOXO
Happy Birthday!!! This post is so so cute! I love your positivity about EVERYTHING! This makes me excited for my 30’s because I’ve heard similar things – the BEST years of your life! You’re still young but you have a healthy dose of confidence and wisdom now thats often missing in 20’s haha. Enjoy your special day!!
You got this girl!! My prayers are with you ???????? . I loved learning from your blogger workshops! Enjoy your big 3-0!! xo, Kristi
Great list!!! happy birthday!!!! Love your outfit
Great blog post. Happy birthday sweet Brooke!
xoxo- Tanya 🙂
Such a great post, Brooke! All such great advice and I pray this is your BEST YEAR YET!! Welcome to the 30’s club!! It’s a fab club to be in 🙂